Calgary Police Service

Report a Concern or Complaint about Officer Conduct

Have you had a negative experience with the Calgary Police Service?
Know your options…

The Calgary Police Service (CPS) is committed to providing professional police services. If you are not satisfied with the conduct of a member of the CPS, or if you have concerns with the policies of the CPS, this can be reported to the Professional Standards Section (PSS).

Who is PSS?

PSS is governed by the Alberta Police Act and has jurisdiction to investigate complaints of conduct concerning Calgary police officers, and review of CPS policies, on behalf of the Chief of Police. We are committed to processing all complaints in a way that is timely, fair, and objective.  

Before filing a concern or complaint, please note:

  • PSS does not:
    • Cancel violation tickets
    • Interfere with the court process
    • Reassign investigations
    • Reinvestigate
      • any matters that led to charges and are before the courts
      • any matters where you are requesting a person be charged
    • Provide monetary compensation
  • To request copies of any documents, reports, videos, etc. that you want and are entitled to under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, please contact the CPS Access & Privacy Section.
  • To make a financial claim for injury or property damage because of your interaction with the Calgary Police Service, please contact city claims at the City of Calgary.
  • Threats, profanity, abusive language, or discriminatory remarks will not be tolerated.

Know your options

What is the difference between a complaint and a concern?


As per Section 42.1(2) of the Alberta Police Act, you may only make a complaint about conduct if:

  • the event happened to you, or the conduct was directed to you
  • you were personally present and witnessed the event
  • you are the lawyer or agent for the person the event happened to
  • you were in a personal relationship at the time of the event with the person this happened to, and you suffered a loss, damage, distress, danger or inconvenience as a result of this event  

A complaint can be investigated under the act; all resolution options are available which include

  1. Informal Resolution - your complaint is documented. If an officer is identified, your complaint will be forwarded to the involved officer(s) and their supervisor for information, learning, or training purposes.
  2. Supervisor Intervention - PSS will contact you to discuss the issues and document them in a report. This report will be sent to the involved officer(s) supervisor to let them know there was a complaint made. The supervisor will review the complaint, discuss the key issues with the officer and contact you. The outcome of the discussion with you and description of the action taken, if any, will be documented in the PSS file.
  3. Mediation - Both you and the officer(s) agree to participate.  A professionally trained mediator is hired to assist you and the officer to resolve your dispute. The mediation takes place in a neutral location and is confidential.
  4. Investigation - When the investigation is complete, the chief of police determines whether misconduct occurred based on the evidence collected. The Chief directs what form of discipline, if any, is to take place. You and the officer(s) are advised, in writing, of the Chief’s decision and any available avenue of appeal.  The length of time an investigation takes will vary depending on the circumstances of the complaint.  It can range from a few months to more than a year.

Anyone can report a concern. The information you submit will be documented and will be actioned by the Professional Standards Section.


  • A story you have seen on the news or online.

We do not action anonymous information.


  • A concern will be documented for officer and supervisor awareness.

Time limit to file a complaint – one year

You have one year from when the event occurred, or from when you knew or ought to have known about it.  As per Section 43 (11) of the Alberta Police Act, the chief of police cannot investigate a complaint that is made outside of this timeline


Between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. you can call PSS at 403-428-5904 to report your concern. You will be required to leave a message with your name and phone number. You will be contacted by a PSS member within three business days to discuss your concern(s).
All phone lines in the Professional Standards Section are recorded.


PSS does not accept walk-in complaints.  Please contact us via phone or online.

What is required to file a complaint?

As per Section 42.1(4) of the Alberta Police Act,

A complaint must be made in writing and must include the following information:

(a) the full name of the complainant
(b) the complainant’s

(i) address
(ii) telephone number
(iii) cellular telephone number if available
(iv) email address, if available

(c)  if the complaint is made by an agent of the complainant, the agent’s full name and contact information
(d)  if the complaint is regarding the conduct of a police officer

(i) the date of the event, if known
(ii) the identification of the police officer, if known
(iii) a description of the incident that describes the conduct

(e) if the complaint is regarding a policy or service provided, enough information to identify what the policy is or the what the service complained of is

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to give my name if I file a complaint/concern?

Yes. We do not action anonymous complaints.

Do I have to complain in-person?

No, we prefer complaints to be submitted using the public portal website (see link). An investigator may contact you, if necessary, to obtain further details.

How much time do I have to file a complaint?

You have one year from when the event occurred, or from when you knew or ought to have known about it. As per Section 43(11) of the Alberta Police Act, the chief of police cannot investigate a complaint that is made outside of this timeline.

Who will investigate my complaint?

Your complaint will be investigated by a member of the Professional Standards Section.

Will the police officer know that I filed a complaint against them?

Yes. The police officer has a right to know who made a complaint against them and the details of your complaint.

What do I do if I am unhappy that I was issued a ticket?

If you want to dispute a ticket, you must go through the court process.  

How will I know what happened once I make a complaint and request an investigation?

You will receive an update every 45 days as to the status of the investigation. Once an investigation is concluded, you will be notified of the results of the investigation in writing.

It has been more than four business days since I left a message for Professional Standards, why is no one returning my call?

If you have reported a concern based on something you have seen on the news or online, we will document your concern, however, we will not return your call.

If you have not heard from someone after leaving a message and the above does not apply to you, please call back.

Contact and Address Information 

​Calgary Police Service ​Calgary Police Commission
Professional Standards Section #811
Westwinds Campus East Building
5111 47 Street N.E.
Calgary, AB, T3J 3R2
Phone: 403-428-5904
Fax: 403-265-9870
Bow Valley Square
1, Suite 1150 202 6 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB, T2P 2R9




In an emergency always call 911

Non-emergency 403-266-1234