Alert | State of Local Emergency in Effect

City declares State of Local Emergency. Water restrictions and Fire ban in place. Our water is safe to drink.

Water Saving Tips, FAQs, more information

Return to Bylaws by topic

Noise complaint FAQs

In Calgary, all residents have the right to not be disturbed by noise. Sound is restricted to certain levels during the daytime and at night.

All residents have the responsibility not to make noise that disturbs others and adhere to all bylaws related to noise. These include:

  • Between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. Monday to Saturday and 10pm to 9am on Sunday and holidays, you may not operate:
    • A hand lawn mower
    • A motorized garden tool
    • A power tool outside of any building or structure
    • A model aircraft driven by an internal combustion engine of any kind
    • A snow clearing device powered by an engine of any kind (snow clearing devices are exempt during the 48 hour period following a snowfall)
    • A leaf blowing device
    • A sport ramp
  • Tips for reducing sport ramp noise can be found on our Sport Ramps Tips page.
  • You may not operate an outdoor speaker system within 150 metres of a residential development between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. Monday through Sunday (Exception: During the Calgary Stampede, restrictions are in effect between midnight and 7 a.m.)
  • This is not intended to prohibit construction activities such as framing and interior work; however power tools mentioned above may not be used outside at night.
  • Additional noise restrictions can be found in the Community Standards Bylaw.

The fine for noise over the allowable limit is $250. The fine for outdoor concert noise/outdoor speakers exceeding the allowable limit is $500.

Traffic or vehicle noise

Vehicle noise, including noise from a vehicle's stereo, on public property falls under the Traffic Bylaw.

Vehicle noise, including noise from a vehicle's stereo, on private property falls under the Community Standards Bylaw.

Any vehicle in motion emitting noise measured at 96 decibels or more by a sound pressure level meter is “objectionable noise” and is in contravention of the Traffic Bylaw.

Animal noise

Animal Owners must supervise their pets when outside so they do not cause a nuisance by their behaviour including barking. This is covered under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.

Noise exemption permits

Eligible applicants may apply for a Noise Exemption Permit. These allow citizens and organizations temporary permits that allow for exceptions to the Community Standards Bylaw.

Related bylaws

The City of Calgary regulates noise through the Community Standards Bylaw under sections 26-39. Traffic and vehicle noise are regulated under the Traffic Bylaw.

This page is an overview of these regulations. Please refer to the actual bylaws for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.

Filing a complaint

How to file a complaint and what happens to it

To report a bylaw violation please choose one of the following options:

  • If the noise is caused by a criminal activity, call the Calgary Police Service at 403-266-1234 or if it is related to an emergency, dial 911.
  • If the noise is not caused by criminal activity, call 311
​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​