Alert | State of Local Emergency in Effect

City declares State of Local Emergency. Water restrictions and Fire ban in place. Our water is safe to drink.

Water Saving Tips, FAQs, more information

Property tax: Buying or Selling a property - frequently asked questions

Important information for 2024

Due to processing times, recent ownership and mailing address changes will not be reflected on the property tax bills mailed in late May. Property owners who have not received their property tax bill by the first week of June must Contact Tax to request the document.

The City of Calgary is not responsible for delays. Non-receipt of your property tax bill does not exempt you from late payment penalties.  To avoid late payment penalties, ensure your property tax is paid on or before the June 28 due date. 

Do you have questions when buying or selling a property? Read our frequently asked questions below. 

General Tax Information

Why do I have to pay property tax?

The property tax you pay is your investment in making Calgary a great place to live. Visit to learn more about City tax supported services and programs.

When are property tax bills mailed out?

Property tax bills are mailed out annually in late May to the mailing address registered at the Province of Alberta Land Titles Office. If you have not received your current year’s tax bill by the first week of June, you can request a copy of your bill by calling 311 or 403-268-CITY (2489) if calling from outside Calgary. 

What period does the property tax bill cover?

Even though property tax bills are mailed in late May, your property tax bill covers the period January 1 to December 31 of the current year.

When are property taxes due?

Property taxes are due on the last business day of June every year. The due date is indicated on the bill. To avoid penalties the bill must be paid by the date shown.  

I received a supplementary tax bill, why?

A supplementary tax bill is issued when a new building is completed during the calendar year. The supplementary tax bill will reflect the number of months the building was completed or occupied during the year. Supplementary tax bills must be paid on or before the due date shown on the bill.  For more information on how to join the Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP), visit Property tax payment

How can I pay?

The City of Calgary offers a variety of property tax payment options to pay directly to The City or through your bank. For more information including on how to join the Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP), visit Property tax payment.

To prevent a $25 payment alignment fee, ensure you are using the correct 9-digit roll number for your current property. The roll number can be located on your tax bill or statement of account.

I want to make a payment through my bank, what is my account number?

The account number to use is the 9-digit roll number shown on your property tax bill or statement of account. Ensure the Calgary property tax account number registered in your bank’s bill payment profile matches the 9-digit property tax roll number shown on your most recent tax bill or statement of account.

For assistance or to obtain your roll number, contact 311 or 403-268-CITY (2489) if calling from outside Calgary.  For more information, visit Property tax payment

I’m trying to pay through my bank but can’t find “Calgary property tax” as a payee, what should I do?

Before making a payment through online banking or at an ATM, you will need to add “Calgary Property Tax” as a payee. Search keywords “Calgary property tax” and select the payee name closest to “Calgary (City of) Property Tax” or “Calgary Property Tax”.

If you are still unable to find “Calgary property tax” as a payee or are unsure which payee to select, contact your bank for more information. 

How can I avoid paying penalties on my property tax?

To avoid penalties, you must make a payment in full by the due date or be enrolled in the monthly Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP) by the due date. For more information on all payment options, visit Property tax payment.

Why did I get a School Support Notice?

Under the Education Act, property owners located in an area where a separate school district exists are required to file a School Support Notice. A School Support Notice is automatically mailed to the property owner when a change is registered at The Province of Alberta Land Titles Office (i.e. purchase, marriage, divorce, death, legal name change, adding or deleting an owner).​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ Visit Property Tax School Support for more information. 

Information on buying and selling a property

I bought/sold a property, do I need to inform The City of Calgary?

Your lawyer will register the change of ownership at the Province of Alberta Land Titles Office and this information will be transferred to The City of Calgary. You do not need to contact The City of Calgary to notify the change.

Note: Manufactured homes are not registered with the Province of Alberta Land Titles Office. Submit your ownership and mailing address change information using a Manufactured Home Information form. Forms are also available from manufactured home park managers. For more information, see Property Taxes and Manufactured Homes.

I bought a property, am I responsible for paying the property tax?

Yes. As the new property owner, you are responsible for paying the property tax. Your lawyer should process any adjustments to the property tax at the time of purchase. The sale between the buyer and seller is a private contract, the City of Calgary is not involved in the process of adjustments. Review your statement of adjustments for any tax adjustment your lawyer processed. Contact your lawyer if there are any discrepancies.  

Will the City automatically send me a property tax bill when I purchase a property?

No. The City does not automatically re-issue a tax bill when a property has been purchased. If your lawyer, as part of the real estate transaction, has not supplied you with the information, you are responsible to contact the City at 311 or 403-268-CITY (2489) if calling from outside Calgary.

I sold a property and purchased a new one, does my roll number change?

Yes, roll numbers are assigned to properties and not the registered owner. The roll number for your new property will be different than your previous property.  Ensure you are using the correct roll number when you make a payment to avoid a Payment Alignment Fee of $25. For more information, visit Property tax payment.

I sold a property and bought a new property. Do I need to sign up for TIPP again?

Yes, TIPP does not move with you to your next property or automatically start on any additional properties you may purchase. TIPP payments are non-transferable to other property tax accounts. For information on how to cancel TIPP on your sold property and enrol on your new property, visit TIPP selling or buying a property.

I bought a condo, why did I receive more than one bill and how do I pay?

Condominiums often have separately titled parking stalls and storage units.  Each titled parcel has a unique 9-digit roll number. When making payment on your condo, parking stall(s) and storage unit(s), each roll number must be paid separately to avoid a Payment Alignment Fee of $25.

If you enrol in TIPP, an agreement is required for your condo unit and a separate agreement is required for each parking stall(s) and storage unit(s).

Visit Property tax payment for more information

Who do I contact if I have more property tax questions?

Contact Tax if you have any additional questions. 

Who do I contact for a Real Property Report, a certificate of compliance or information on home inspections?

Visit Planning & Development - Buying and selling a property